November 27, 2012

Our First Thanksgiving @ Home

Well, I'm back from a much needed break from everything. I didn't touch the computer for over a week! I couldn't even if I had wanted to since Colton has discovered Minecraft, he has taken it over. Things are back to the normal routine this week (what ever that is).

This was the first year we have had a Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Terry smoked the turkey and ham and everyone brought a side or dessert, so it made it fairly easy.

But you know me I was more wrapped up in the table scape than the food anyway :)

I didn't spend much, which was nice. I didn't have anything at the start of this year except my jumping off point, the gold flatware, given to me by my Nana. The largest purchase I made was on the dinner plates. I didn't want a set where everything matches, but want more of a "collected over the years" feel. So I went to the Dillard's outlet and scored these Mikasa Metallics Rings plates (originally $26 ea...I got for $3 ea) SCORE!


The napkins, I got on clearance at World Market for $1.50 ea. I debated on the top piece for a while, but never really found "IT".  I wanted something whimsy and more "ranna-esk" :) I finally found these elk plates at Target. Even though they are melamine, they were exactly what I was looking for, and for $3, if I don't like them in a few years, no problem.


I had bought this pumpkin at Hobby Lobby a few years ago. I also mixed the glasses, all given to me by family for that more "collected" feel. Oh...and the gold charges were recycled from my friends 40th bday that I had here....bonus.


For the foundation, I just used plastic tablecloths (easy clean up/maybe I will get real ones next year) and paper napkins unfolded as the placemats (that is one of my secrets) You can get them on clearance at HomeGoods all the time. They give a lot of pattern and punch with not a lot of money! I used my Kohl's cash for the mercury glass candle holders and hit up the dollar spot at Target for the other decorative items.

I think everyone had a great time, and we have started a new tradition for our family. Next year I think I will need to add another table :) 

I hope you all had a nice turkey day....now ramping up for Christmas!


0 comments:

Post a Comment